Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Project 1 - Track

The track I created on TrackStar is called What's the Matter? It was created for a high school chemistry audience and accompanied with Indiana State Standards SCI.C.1.5 2010- Describe the characteristics of solids, liquids and gases and changes in state at the molecular level and SCI.C.1.2 2010- Observe and describe chemical and physical properties of different types of matter.  


The topic was chosen to reflect the standards stated above as well as go beyond the common three states of matter.  I selected these standards because there is more than the common phases of a solid, liquid, and gas which should be addressed at the high school level.  My criteria for selecting websites for my track was that they be at a high school level, although I began the beginning slide used an introductory site (geared more for kids) and progressed to a few university sites (for a more mature target audience).  This way, the students will be able to ease into the complexity of matter and the several phases that exist.

The task chosen for this track was a fill-in-the-blank section, note organizer (chart), and a reflection question.  I wanted to cover a range of questions that involved higher-order thinking skills.  Additionally, I chose these tasks so the students will need to browse through the entire track before completing.

The only issue I had while completing this track was to ensure that the websites I chose were accredited.  I managed to overcome this by carefully filtering through websites that ended in .com.  Therefore, the majority of the sites I chose are from a .org, .edu., or .gov.  One exception to this was an interesting YouTube video I linked, although the creator of this video comes from The University of Maryland, College Park.


You can find this track at 
http://trackstar.4teachers.org/trackstar/ts/viewTrack.do?number=442121

Alternatively, you can search for my TrackStar creation, which is track #442121.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment